The King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is pleased to announce an opportunity to study marine science in the Red Sea in the summer of 2019. On July 21 – August 8, 2019, the Red Sea Research Center at KAUST will host eligible international BS/BSc and MS students for its fifth annual summer program focused on Marine Science.
Students will be exposed to several aspects of KAUST’s work with relevance to understanding the Red Sea, including genomics, ecology, biological oceanography, microbiology, and environmental science. The course includes fieldwork, lab work, lectures, and data workshops.
Who Should Apply?
The Red Sea Summer Program offers an opportunity for exceptionally qualified international undergraduate and post-graduate students to learn about Red Sea research from KAUST Faculty.
Total sixteen (16) positions for students to participate in the summer workshop from international universities.
- The ideal program participant will be a current undergraduate or Master’s student with a strong background in core biological sciences, preferably also with at least one specialized course, such as ecology, zoology, genetics, oceanography, or marine biology.
- Enrolled KAUST students, KAUST Alumni, students who are currently in a PhD program or those who have earned a PhD are not eligible to participate.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) that exceeds 3.50 /4.00 (14/20: Equivalent to ECTS B).
- Demonstrated English reading comprehension, speaking, listening and writing abilities. Suggested levels; TOEFL score of 79 on the IBT or 6.0 on the IELTS.
Documents for your application:
- Official academic transcript(s) or a certified translation if the original transcript(s) is not in English from current and previous institutions.
- Personal Statement of Intent.
- Letter of Recommendation from professor or academic supervisor.
- A passport with validity until 2020 (and two blank facing pages).
What should be in Program Package:
- Round-trip to/from international airport of departure city to Jeddah (KAUST)
- Private bedroom and bath in a shared residential suite
- Visa fees (Students must have valid passport)
- Three-week Program living allowance ( $800USD )
- Health insurance at KAUST
- Access to community recreational resources
- Social and cultural activities
- Tuition-free program
Timeline for Application, Admittance and Arrivals/Departures
Deadline: March 15, 2019
Interviews: April 10 – May 1, 2019
Student Notification: May 13, 2019 (approx.)
Visa Processing & Flight Arrangements: May 19, 2019 – July 4, 2019
Arrival at KAUST Saturday: July 20, 2019
Departure from KAUST: August 9, 2019